If you’re new to graphic design and have questions about what it is and why it’s important, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll explore the basics of graphic design and answer all your questions.
We’ll start by understanding what graphic design is and why it matters. Then, we’ll delve into how you can learn graphic design and explore the future demand for this skill. Additionally, we’ll discuss opportunities to earn from graphic design and identify who can benefit the most from this creative field.
Who is Graphic Design for?
We all have unique talents within us. Some are great at playing music, while others excel at writing. If you have a talent for drawing, you’re welcome to explore the world of graphic design.
Today, there’s a soaring demand for graphic design, especially in the online world. Graphic design is needed everywhere, from water bottle labels to movie scenes. If you can become a skilled designer, you can build a successful career in this field.
But here’s the thing: having drawing talent alone isn’t enough to be a graphic designer. If it were, we’d have graphic designers everywhere.
To be a successful graphic designer, you need more than just drawing skills. You need creativity and the ability to express your design ideas effectively. Designing is like a language, and you must learn to speak it fluently.
By mastering this design language and staying up-to-date with the latest trends, you can carve a niche for yourself in the world of graphic design. When you do, you’ll be able to proudly call yourself a skilled designer.
What is Graphic Design?
Many people believe graphic design is all about logos, vectors, and optical illusions, but it’s much broader than that. Graphic design encompasses a wide range of creative elements.
If we break down the words, ‘graphic’ refers to the use of colors, while ‘design’ means creating something with a purpose. When we put these words together, we get ‘graphic design,’ which means using colors and visuals to convey a message.
A person who can create art through their designs is known as a graphic designer. So, graphic design is not just about a few specific things; it’s about using colors and visuals to express ideas and messages.
Why Learn Graphic Design?
In today’s world, there are many online job marketplaces offering various types of work like web design, SEO, app development, and graphic design. But why do people choose to learn graphic design?
Well, let me tell you, there’s a high demand for graphic design in the freelancing market. Many freelancers are earning a good income, even lakhs of rupees every month, doing graphic design work. These are not just stories; it’s true. Graphic design is needed everywhere, from designing a simple Rs 10 biscuit packet to creating stunning visual effects in multi-crore rupee movies.
You might be wondering if the demand for graphic design will stay the same in the future. The truth is, none of us can predict the future, but based on my experience, I can say that as long as online marketplaces exist, the demand for graphic design will continue to grow.
If you want to understand the demand for graphic designers in online marketplaces, you just need to take a closer look.
What Does it Take to Learn Graphic Design?
To become a good graphic designer, there are some important qualities and things you’ll need to have. Let’s take a closer look at them:
- Desire: To become a skilled graphic designer, you need a strong desire to learn. In the beginning, designing might be fun, but dealing with design software can be a bit challenging. Don’t give up; keep that determination to ‘learn graphics, no matter what’s in your heart.
- Color Skills: Being good at selecting colors is crucial for graphic design. Choosing the right colors can make a design stand out. However, if you have color blindness, you might face some challenges in this field.
- Creativity: Creativity is at the core of designing. You should have the ability to come up with fresh and innovative designs that match current trends. What’s popular now might not be in the future, so being creative is vital.
- The Right Equipment: While you’ll be doing graphic design, your device won’t do the work on its own. You’ll need a good-quality computer or laptop to run graphic design software effectively.
- Essential Tools: Whether online or offline, many design-related software options are available. Along with the right device, you’ll also need access to different software.
- Background Removal: This is one of the easiest tasks in graphic design. It’s where many beginners begin. So, if you’re new to graphic design, this is a good place to start.
- Logo Design: Creating eye-catching logos is in high demand. A strong logo is crucial for any brand, and this is a great starting point for graphic designers.
- Visiting Card Design: Visiting cards are still important for personal and business introductions. The demand for visiting card design is growing in the freelancing market.
- Poster Design: From movie posters to election campaigns, posters are needed everywhere. Having experience in poster design is valuable.
- Vector Icon Design: Vector icons are in demand and can be sold in online markets. You can earn money by creating these icons.
- Cartoon Portrait: Turning pictures into cartoons is a unique skill. If you’re efficient at this graphic design task, you can attract buyers willing to pay well.
- Website Design: Web designers focus on coding, but the website’s design comes before coding. A graphic designer determines the site’s look, making graphic design essential.
- Mobile App Design: Smartphone apps are used by everyone today. Graphic designers decide how these apps will look, where menus will be, and what colors to use. Mobile app design is a valuable skill.
- UX/UI Design: UX/UI designers are highly sought after. They play a critical role in user experience and interface design. If you want a bright future in graphic design, consider becoming proficient in UX/UI design.
How Many Days Does it Take to Learn Graphic Design?
Many newcomers to the graphic design world often wonder, ‘How long does it take to learn graphic design?’ It’s a common question, and let’s explore this important topic.
The truth is, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer because everyone learns at their own pace. What takes someone a month to learn might take another person two months. Learning depends on your capacity and dedication.
While we can’t give an exact number of years, we can provide some guidance. If you’re considering formal education, like a college course, it typically takes a minimum of 4 years to cover all aspects of design thoroughly.
However, if you’re learning graphic design on your own, the duration depends entirely on you. With dedicated and careful study, you can make significant progress within 2 years.
But here’s the thing, if you have little interest in learning, graphic design might not be the right fit for you.
How to Learn Graphic Design?
Learning graphic design can be done in two main ways, and I’ll explain them in detail.
Learn Graphic Design by Taking a Course: One of the best ways to learn graphic design is by taking a course, either online or offline. Courses can help you grasp the fundamentals of design effectively.
But before you dive into a course, it’s important to choose the right one. There are two types of courses:
- Paid Courses: These are courses that you need to buy, either online or in person. They offer several advantages:
- Easy Tutorials: Paid courses often provide easy-to-understand tutorials, making learning more accessible.
- Support: Premium courses usually offer admin support. If you face any difficulties, you can directly ask for help, and they’ll guide you.
- Tools/Packs: Many graphic design tools may be needed for your learning journey, and premium courses often include these tools as part of the package.
However, there are also disadvantages to paid courses:
- Financial Constraints: Not everyone can afford paid courses, especially when they’re just starting their learning journey.
- Course Quality: Be cautious of scams and low-quality courses online. Some people create courses just to make money without offering real value.
Free Courses: Free courses are another option for learning graphic design. They are accessible without any cost. Here are the advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages of Free Courses:
- They are free of charge, making them accessible to everyone.
- You can learn without spending money.
Disadvantages of Free Courses:
- Finding good free courses can be challenging.
- Free tutorials may not always be as informative or organized as paid ones.
- You may need to invest extra time and effort to collect and sift through various tutorials.
Now you know how to learn graphic design by taking courses, whether paid or free. But if you want to learn graphic design without spending money, stay tuned for the next part of this article.
How to Learn Graphic Design for Free?
Learning graphic design for free is absolutely possible, and it all depends on how much passion you have for it. There are many resources available on the internet, especially on Google and YouTube, that can help you get started without spending a dime.
YouTube is an excellent place to begin your free graphic design journey. There are numerous YouTube channels dedicated to graphic design, filled with informative tips and tricks. Here’s how to get started:
- Search for Graphic Design Channels: Start by searching for graphic design-related YouTube channels. There are plenty to choose from, so take your time to explore.
- Watch Videos: Begin watching videos from these channels, bit by bit. Take your time to absorb the information and techniques shared in each video.
- Filter and Make a List: After watching, you’ll begin to identify which channels and tutorials are most helpful to you. Create a list of these channels for easy reference.
- Practice: Now comes the fun part. Try to replicate the designs and techniques you’ve learned by following the tutorials. Don’t be afraid to experiment and put your skills to the test.
- Keep Learning: The world of graphic design is vast and always evolving. Keep following your chosen channels, stay updated with the latest trends, and keep practicing to improve your skills.
Remember, the key to learning graphic design for free is your dedication and passion. With the wealth of information available online, you can become a proficient graphic designer without spending a single penny.
What Software is Needed to Learn Design?
When you want to learn graphic design, you’ll need the right software tools. There are many software options available, but let’s focus on the essential ones.
One of the most well-known and widely used software for graphic design is Photoshop, which is a product of Adobe, a famous company. Adobe is known for its top-notch design products.
However, there’s a catch with Photoshop—it’s pixel-based and primarily used for photo editing and manipulation. If you’re just starting your graphic design journey, it’s better to begin with vector-based software. The most popular choice for this is Adobe Illustrator, also from Adobe.
Adobe Illustrator is specifically designed for graphic design work and is a fantastic starting point. But don’t worry; there are more software options to explore as you advance in your design skills:
- CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2019
- Xara Designer Pro X
- Gravit Designer
- Design Wizard
Each of these software tools has its own strengths and purposes in the world of graphic design. While it’s not necessary to master them all at once, having a basic understanding of each one can enhance your design skills and allow you to choose the right tool for specific tasks.
So, start with Adobe Illustrator and gradually explore other software as you progress in your design journey. It’s all about finding the tools that work best for you.
What is the Current Demand for Graphic Designers and a Half?
Graphic design, whether it’s for the web or other creative projects, is in high demand right now. However, there’s a catch—it’s not just about being any designer; it’s about being a skilled one.
If you have a knack for creativity and you’re a skilled designer, you’ll always have a place in online marketplaces. The reason is simple—graphics are needed everywhere, from the packaging of a 10-rupee biscuit packet to the mind-blowing VFX in multi-crore movies.
You might be wondering if the demand for graphic design will remain high in the future. Well, here’s my take: As long as people appreciate beauty and creativity, the demand for graphic design will keep on rising. Because, let’s face it, good design is captivating, and as long as people appreciate that, graphic design will remain at the forefront.
How Much Money Can Be Earned by Learning Graphic Design?
Let’s dive straight into it. You’ve put in the effort to learn graphic design, honed your skills, and become a proficient designer. But what’s the bottom line? How much can you actually earn as a designer?
So, how much money are we talking about? Before we get into that, let me ask you a question: What are your financial goals as a skilled designer? Are you aiming for thousands of rupees or dreaming of making millions?
From the start of this article, I’ve emphasized the word ‘efficient’ before ‘designer.’ There’s a good reason for that. To truly excel in the field, you need substantial experience in design-related matters. It’s this experience, combined with your creativity, that allows you to elevate any design to new heights, making you a skilled designer.
Now, let’s get back to the main topic. When you explore graphic design marketplaces, you’ll be amazed at what buyers are willing to pay for your skills. Small logo designs can fetch you anywhere from $100 to $200. Once you establish yourself as a UX/UI designer, you could command fees ranging from $200 to $500 per project.
With this in mind, it’s safe to say that as a skilled designer, you have the potential to earn substantial income, possibly reaching lakhs of rupees per month.
How to Make Money Learning Graphic Design?
Now, let’s tackle the final piece of the puzzle. By now, you’ve learned how to become a skilled designer, what software to use, and how much you can potentially earn each month. But the real question is, how and where do you turn your graphic design skills into earnings? I’m here to guide you through it.
As you harness your creativity and become a proficient designer, you can unlock a world of income opportunities by selling your creative designs on various online graphic-related marketplaces.
I’ve mentioned online marketplaces throughout this article, but what exactly are these marketplaces? Let’s dive into the details.
Online marketplaces come in different forms, but one of the most popular and trusted platforms is:
- 99designs: This platform is a haven for talented designers. Some of the world’s top designers sell their creations here. With a vast number of buyers seeking design solutions, designers can earn a substantial income.
- Behance: Launched in 2006, Behance is one of the world’s most renowned creative platforms. To start earning with your design creativity here, you’ll need to create a portfolio profile and showcase your designs. Buyers will browse your portfolio, and if they like your work, they’ll offer you money for your designs.
- CrowdSpring: If you’ve just started learning about logo design and want to earn a modest income, CrowdSpring is a perfect marketplace. You can both learn and earn by designing small logos.
- MyFonts: If you’re passionate about typography in the graphic design sector, MyFonts is the ideal marketplace for you. Sell your unique typography creations and generate income from this platform.
- Fiverr: Since its launch in 2009, Fiverr has gained immense popularity. Here, you can sell the designs you create and earn anywhere from $200 to $500 for each design.
These are just a few examples, and there are several other online marketplaces to explore:
- Art Web
- Society 6
- Big Cartel
All of the above-mentioned marketplaces are reliable and highly popular. They host millions of freelancers from around the world who earn a living through these platforms.
Frequently Asked Questions on Graphic Design
What is graphic design, and why is it important?
Who is graphic design for?
What are the essential qualities to become a successful graphic designer?
How long does it take to learn graphic design?
How can I learn graphic design for free?
What software is needed to learn graphic design?
What is the current demand for graphic designers?
How much money can be earned as a graphic designer?
How can I make money with my graphic design skills?
What are some reliable online marketplaces for graphic designers?
Is graphic design a future-proof career?
Do I need a formal education to become a graphic designer?
What are the different specializations within graphic design?
Our last words
I hope you now have a good understanding of graphic design. One last thing to remember: in today’s world, whether online or offline, creativity is a valuable skill to possess. Make sure to stay in tune with the times because success could be just around the corner.
Our Draw With Pappu features many more articles on online income opportunities, and we regularly publish new content just for you. If you have any questions or want to know more about our blog, feel free to reach out to us via email or leave a comment below the post.